Voluntary Protection Program
The University of Notre Dame is pursuing a cooperative relationship with the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration (IOSHA) through its Voluntary Protection Program (VPP). This means Notre Dame is committed to effective employee protection beyond the requirements of OSHA standards.
What is VPP?
The VPP program promotes effective worksite-based safety and health programs. In the VPP, the University's faculty, staff, administration and OSHA establish cooperative relationships to implement a comprehensive safety and health system. Approval into VPP is OSHA's official recognition of the outstanding efforts of employers and employees who have achieved exemplary occupational safety and health.
How Does VPP work?
VPP develops performance-based criteria for a managed safety and health system, invites organizations to apply, and then assesses them against these criteria. OSHA's verification includes an application review and a rigorous onsite evaluation by a team of OSHA safety and health experts.
What are the Benefits of VPP?
- Improves safety performance
- National statistics show less injuries (~50%) occur at VPP sites.
- Indiana statistics show that VPP sites have an average incident rate of ~71% below their respective Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) averages.
- Reduces absenteeism rates, insurance premiums and worker's compensation costs
- Enhances public recognition and outreach
- Creates a higher morale and feeling of ownership among employees
VPP Road Map
- The VPP certification will be a 3 to 5 year process. Our initial focus will be within the EVP division, however the overall process will include the following steps:
- Developing and implementing all laboratory and operational safety programs, as well as a Safety Management System.
- Ensuring all faculty and staff have received all required safety and health training.
- Maintaining an injury rate at or below the average for other colleges and universities.
- Communicating with all faculty and staff on VPP.
- OSHA's VPP Website
- OSHA's VPP - "The Value of Participating" (203 kb, pdf)
- Notre Dame Indiana Department of Labor Presentation (6MB ppt)
- Notre Dame VPP Brochure (407kb, pdf) (Printable)
- VPP Gap Assessment Tableau Dashboard
- Ideas On Ways To Get Employees Involved (311 kb, pdf)