Laboratory Safety Programs
The University of Notre Dame strives to make research and teaching environments where hazards are known and the associated risks are minimized by proper controls (procedures, protocols and equipment). RMS works in partnership with faculty, staff, and students to promote safe and healthy laboratory environments that will support both the University's teaching and research missions.
It is the University’s intention to protect the health and safety of students, employees and the public by providing access to information regarding the safe handling of chemicals and all other hazards present in the workplace.
The navigation panel on the left shows the various components of the lab safety program, where information and procedures can be found. General Lab Safety applies to all University of Notre Dame laboratories, while other components are only applicable if the lab operations include the activity, equipment, or material usage. Contact the RMS lab safety team with any questions.
- Laboratory Integrated Safety Plan (322 kb, pdf)
- Laboratory Safety Manual with the Chemical Hygiene Plan (~5 mb, pdf)
- Laboratory Safety Walk Through Program (243 kb, pdf)
All personnel working in laboratories with hazardous materials or physical hazards must complete Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Parts 1, 2 and 3 in complyND initially. Lab Safety Refresher training is required annually after the initial training expires (one year from date of completion).
Faculty are required to take Faculty Lab Safety Training annually.
Additional complyND or "Lab Specific" training may be required depending on the hazards present in the lab. The Training Needs Assessment form is used to determine required training above the lab safety courses outlined above. Visit our Training page for more information on complyND.
Laboratory Safety and PPE Equipment Links
- All in One Reference Document (Google Sheets) Contains the current LISP and BSL2 Assessment questions, details on training, SDSs, active procedures, common lab supplies, and even includes links to signs, labels, forms, and procedures.
- Common Safety and Personal Protective Equipment for Labs (Google Sheets)
LISP (Joint) Assessments
- Pre-Assessment Checklist - See "LISP Questions" tab (Google Sheets)
- Schedule by Lab and Department
- LISP Joint Assessment Tool (Google Sheet - View Only) used by RMS
- Joint Assessment and Risk Leveling Flow Process (70 kb, pdf)