When a work-related injury or illness occurs, the University provides Worker’s Compensation benefits to the injured or ill employee. These benefits include compensation for lost wages per current State guidelines and University policies, and medical coverage for treatment received at the direction of the Notre Dame Wellness Center for all approved injuries.
Important changes regarding medical treatment options for work-related injuries (click here).
All employees injured on the job should report first to The Wellness Center for immediate care. The Wellness Center may refer patients to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center (SJRMC) on Douglas Rd for emergency care. SJRMC is also where employees can be treated for work related injuries when the Wellness Center is closed. All follow up care should be scheduled at Notre Dame Wellness Ctr.
If the Wellness Center feels your care is not an emergency but a specialist is recommended they will contact Risk Management and Safety for an approval to South Bend Orthopedics.
The Wellness Center Hours of Operation:
7 am to 7 pm Monday – Friday
8 am - 12 noon Saturday except Home Football weekends - Closed
Closed Sunday except Home Football weekends - Open 1pm -5pm
Pharmacy prescriptions and basic items such as braces, crutches and slings are filled at the Wellness Center on campus. If an item is not in stock or is a special fitted item, employees may use Northern Brace or call Risk Management and Safety for assistance at (574) 631-5037.
How to Apply for Worker’s Compensation Coverage
All injuries require the Worker's Compensation Incident Report form to be submitted by your Supervisor. Shortly after submission, the employee's supervisor will receive a copy of the completed form via email.
All medical and salary claims are pending until this form is received and reviewed for coverage. All medical status forms relating to your work restrictions or time off work must be shared with your Supervisor or designee immediately. This will keep your claim in good standing.
Christie Nygaard, Sr. Claims Specialist, PO Box 40996, Indianapolis, IN 46240 (317) 706-9591
Risk Management & Safety Office
Carla Gruse, RWCS, Systems Program Manager, 636 Grace Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556 Ph (574) 631-7532
Eric Doland, Senior Assistant Director, Compliance Assurance, 636 Grace Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556 Ph (574) 631-4944
Common Provider Offices
- The Wellness Center and Pharmacy (574) 634-9355
- X-Rays – Medical Imaging Ctr. 53940 Carmichael Dr. South Bend, IN (574)-335-8100
- MRI Provider – South Bend Orthopedics (574) 247-9441
- Alick's Home Medical - 17187 St. Rd. 23, South Bend, IN (574) 273-6000
- Northern Brace - 610 N. Michigan St. South Bend, IN (574) 233-4221
After Hours/Emergency Care
- St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Ctr. – Douglas Rd location ONLY
Worker's Compensation Forms and Information
- Worker's Compensation Incident Report
- Worker's Compensation Procedure Overview (96 kb, pdf)
- Worker's Compensation Procedure (177) kb, pdf)
- Worker's Compensation Letter (84 kb, pdf)
- Worker's Compensation Satisfaction Survey (61 kb, pdf)