The University of Notre Dame strives to make research and teaching environments where hazards are known and the associated risks are minimized by proper controls (procedures, protocols and equipment). RMS works in partnership with faculty, staff, and students to promote safe and healthy laboratory environments that will support both the University's teaching and research missions.
It is the University’s intention to protect the health and safety of students, employees and the public by providing access to information regarding the safe handling of chemicals and all other hazards present in the workplace.
- Laboratory Integrated Safety Plan (322 kb, pdf)
- Laboratory Safety Manual with the Chemical Hygiene Plan (~1 mb, pdf)
- Laboratory Safety Walk Through Program (148 kb, pdf)
All personnel working in laboratories with hazardous materials or physical hazards must complete Laboratory Safety Fundamentals Parts 1, 2 and 3 in complyND initially. Lab Safety Refresher training is required annually after the initial training expires (one year from date of completion).
Faculty are required to take Faculty Lab Safety Training annually.
Additional complyND or "Lab Specific" training may be required depending on the hazards present in the lab. The Training Needs Assessment form is used to determine required training above the lab safety courses outlined above. Visit our Training page for more information on complyND.
Laboratory Safety and PPE Equipment Links
- All in One Reference Document (201 kb, .xlsx) Contains the current LISP and BSL2 Assessment questions, details on training, SDSs, active procedures, common lab supplies, and even includes links to signs, labels, forms, and procedures.
- Common Safety and Personal Protective Equipment for Labs (15 kb, .xlsx)
LISP (Joint) Assessments
- Pre-Assessment Checklist (16 kb, pdf)
- LISP Schedule by Department (83 kb, pdf)
- LISP Schedule by Lab (214 kb, pdf)
- Joint Assessment Working Document (155 kb, pdf)
- LISP Joint Assessment Tool (Google Sheet - View Only) used by RMS
- Joint Assessment and Risk Leveling Flow Process (70 kb, pdf)
- Eligible Laboratory Walk Through List (168 pdf)
- Laboratory Safety Walk-Through Assessment (59 kb, pdf)
- Laboratory Safety Walk-Through Report (77 kb, xlsx)