Ladders and Scaffolds
The University's Ladder and Scaffold Program provides guidelines to personnel for safely working on ladders and scaffolds. These guidelines standardize University requirements regarding training, inspection, and work practices for the use of ladders and scaffolds.
Ladder Safety Training: Ladder safety training is required for all University staff and faculty members that use fixed and/or portable ladders. The training course (RMS-Ladder Safety Course-2015) is available on complyND. Training is required initially and every three years thereafter.
Scaffold Training: Scaffold training is required prior to the construction and use of any scaffold system and is based on the employee's role.
- Scaffold User Training - Any employee that performs work while on a scaffold must complete user training. The training course (RMS-Scaffold User Training) is available on complyND. Training is required initially and every three years thereafter.
- Scaffold Erector Training - Employees involved in erecting, disassembling, repairing, or inspecting scaffold must complete scaffold erector training. Contact RMS to assist in scheduling.
- Scaffold Competent Person Training - Employees that oversee scaffold erecting, disassembling, repair or inspection shall complete competent person training. Contact RMS to assist in scheduling.
OSHA General Industry Ladder Standard: 29 CFR 1910.23 (Ladders)
OSHA General Industry Scaffold Standard: 29 CFR 1926 Subpart L (Scaffolds)
- General Requirements: 29 CFR 1926.451
- Additional requirements by specific type of scaffold: 29 CFR 1926.452
- Training Requirements: 29 CFR 1926.454