The University’s Fall Prevention Program provides guidelines for personnel working at heights above four feet. These guidelines standardize University requirements regarding fall prevention training, operation, and work practices to prevent falls from heights.
Fall protection training is required for all University staff and faculty members prior to performing work at heights above four feet. Persons working at heights must:
- Complete the fall protection course in complyND (RMS Fall Protection Safety Training)
- Review the supplemental slides contained in the complyND course
- Conduct hands-on training with their department’s competent person. Hands-on training consists of inspecting and correctly donning their harness and verifying proper fit.
- Document completion of hands-on training (submit the hands-on training form)
Training is required initially and every three years thereafter.
The persons listed in the Competent Persons document below have completed specialized fall protection training and have the ability to assess hazards, develop solutions, train individuals on fall protection requirements, and inspect equipment. Persons needing assistance with work at heights should consult their department’s competent person. Departments with no trained personnel should contact Risk Management & Safety.
In order to ensure system compatibility throughout campus, the University has standardized the types of fall protection equipment used. The Fall Protection Equipment List 306kb, pdf provides a catalog of pre-selected fall protection items most frequently needed on campus. If you have questions about the listed equipment or need items not listed, please contact your department competent person or our Airgas representative directly.
Large Orders & Unique Applications: A site visit is recommended before placing large orders (multiple persons, types of equipment) or in developing solutions for custom applications. To schedule a site visit, please contact our local Airgas representative, Darin Glavin at:
- Phone: (269) 308-1614
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Routine Orders & General Applications: To order general purpose equipment from the pre-selected list, please use the following process:
- Consult the Fall Protection Equipment List 306kb, pdf to identify items by part number
- Go to the buyND website and select items/insert part number from the catalog
- Submit your order through Airgas (order will be processed according to your department’s procedure)
*** Note: Once equipment is received, your department competent person must add it to the department inventory using the Fall Protection Equipment Form (see link below)
Equipment Inspection Forms:
Used by competent persons to document annual inspections (mandatory) and may be used by individuals to document daily pre-use inspections (optional).
- Full Body Harness 19 kb, pdf
- Lanyards 22kb, pdf
- Hooks & Carabiners 19kb, pdf
- Tie Off Adaptor / Rope Grab 19kb, pdf
- Self Retracting Lifeline 24kb, pdf
Used to create department and University inventory of fall protection equipment. Department competent persons complete this form upon receipt of new equipment.
Fall Protection Hazard Assessment Form 30kb, pdf - Use to conduct a hazard assessment for any work at heights.
Miller Fall Protection Resources
Gravity Kills, Defy It: This Miller video was produced to help employers learn the importance of: developing a fall protection safety plan; fall prevention and protection training; the ABC's of fall protection; donning a harness in six easy steps; calculating fall clearance; proper inspection; and maintenance procedures.
Fall Clearance Calculator: When working at height, it is important to know your fall clearance and swing fall whether using a shock-absorbing lanyard or self-retracting lifeline (SRL). Calculating your fall clearance and swing fall is critical to your safety.
Product Literature: Link to Miller equipment user manuals and literature.
OSHA General Industry Standard: 29 CFR 1910 Subpart D (Walking Working Surfaces)
OSHA Construction Standard: 29 CFR 1926 Subpart M (Fall Protection)