Confined Space Entry
The University's Confined Space Program provides guidelines for protecting personnel from hazards that are associated with confined space entries. These guidelines standardize University requirements regarding the permit process, confined space training, and work practices to ensure safe entry into the confined space.
A confined space is a space that:
- Is large enough and so configured that an employee can bodily enter and perform work; and
- Has limited or restricted means for entry or exit; and
- Is not designed for continuous human occupancy.
Examples of confined spaces include but are not limited to storage tanks, process vessels, bins, silos, boilers, ventilation ducts, sewers, pipe chases, and underground utility vaults.
Confined Space training is required before any University staff or faculty enters or works at a confined space. This training is required initially and every three years thereafter. People working or entering confined space must:
- Complete the general Confined Space course in ComplyND
- Complete the Notre Dame Specific Confined Space training in ComplyND
- Complete the hands on training with RMS. This training will demonstrate how to properly set up non-entry rescue equipment and how to properly use air monitoring equipment. Contact RMS to schedule training after you complete both ComplyND trainings.
- Confined Space Permit (55kb, pdf)
- Confined Space Reclassification Form (318 kb, pdf)
- Confined Space Inventory Form (109 kb, pdf)
- Contractor Confined Space Information Form (219 kb, pdf)
- Confined Space Field Audit Form (81 kb, pdf)
In order to ensure system compatibility throughout the campus, the University has standardized the types of confined space non-entry rescue equipment used. The Confined Space Equipment List (261 kb, pdf) provides a catalog of pre-selected confined space non-entry rescue items most frequently needed on campus. If you have questions about the listed equipment or need items not listed, please contact your department's competent person or our Airgas representative directly.
Large Orders & Unique Applications
A site visit is recommended before placing large orders (multiple persons, types of equipment) or in developing solutions for custom applications. To schedule a site visit, please contact our local Airgas representative, Darin Glavin at:
- Phone: (574) 288-5267
- Email: email@example.com
Routine Orders & General Applications
To order general purpose equipment from the pre-selected list, please use the following process:
- Consult the Confined Space Equipment List (301 kb, pdf) to identify items by part number.
- Go to the buyND website and select items/insert part number from the catalog
- Submit your order through Airgas (order will be processed according to your department's procedure)
All contractors performing Confined Space work at the University of Notre DAme shall train their authorized employees in Confined Spaces and shall provide proof of training when requested by ND.
Contractor's authorized employees must be familiar with the Confined Space Procedure. The ND contractor point of contact must ensure that communication of the Confined Space Procedure and Contractor Hazardous Checklist Form happens prior to the contractor's employees working inside the confined space.
NFPA 350: Guide for Safe Confined Space Entry and Work